Colorado Springs, Colo. (March 5, 2019) – USA Ultimate, the national governing body for the sport of ultimate in the United States, announced today that the search for 2020 U.S. National Team head coaches is open. Coaches will be selected to lead the U.S. Men’s, Mixed and Women’s National Teams at next year’s World Ultimate and Guts Championships.
Held every four years, the World Ultimate and Guts Championships (WUGC) showcases one of the highest levels of ultimate competition in the world. The World Flying Disc Federation (WFDF) expects more than 2,500 athletes representing more than 40 countries to descend on the city of Leeuwarden, Netherlands next year. The 2020 event is scheduled to be held July 11-18.
The last iteration of the event was held in 2016 in London. The United States swept all five competition divisions, taking home gold medals in the men’s, mixed, women’s, men’s masters and women’s masters divisions.
Beginning in 2016, the United States sent select teams to represent the nation in the men’s, mixed and women’s divisions. Prior to 2016, the reigning club and masters champions from the previous year’s National Championships and Masters Championships earned the right to represent the United States at WUGC. That method continued in 2016 for the men’s masters and women’s masters divisions.
- Head coaches will be selected by the USA Ultimate Coaching Committee and USA Ultimate staff. Those selected will have a demonstrated commitment to strong character and sportsmanship and will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- Ultimate coaching experience; showing competitive success, exemplifying Spirit of the Game and building a positive team culture.
- Ability and willingness to work with USA Ultimate administration and support USA Ultimate’s mission and goals.
- Ability to work with elite club players.
- Experience with international competition, including WFDF rules and regulations. A strong preference will be given to applicants who have experience with the USA Ultimate National Team program.
Additional information and qualifications are included in the application. Applications close Wednesday, March 20.