Colorado Springs, Colo. (Jan. 16, 2017) – USA Ultimate, the national governing body for the sport of ultimate in the United States and proud member of the U.S. Olympic Committee, is pleased to announce the athletes selected to represent the United States at the 2017 World Great Grand Masters Beach Ultimate Championships. Seventeen athletes will travel to Praia do Meco, Portugal, in June as the U.S. National Team to compete against nations from around the world.
Late last year, the World Flying Disc Federation decided to sanction what will be the inaugural event. The Great Grand Masters Beach Ultimate Championships will be held June 17-21, the same week as the World Championships of Beach Ultimate which are set to be contested in Royan, France.
John Hock and Dan Powers, who were announced as team managers in December, selected the team with input from USA Ultimate staff. Athletes must be at least 48 years of age by Dec. 31, 2017, to be eligible to compete at the World Great Grand Masters Beach Ultimate Championships. The open division will be the lone division contested at this year’s championships.
2017 U.S Great Grand Masters Beach National Team
- Britt Atack – Seattle, WA
- Alex de Frondeville – Arlington, MA
- Stephen Feldman – Portland, OR
- Lars Fjelstad – Portland, OR
- Thomas Glass – Robbinsville, NJ
- John Hock – Naperville, IL
- Anthony “AJ” Iwaszko – Arlington, VA
- Kerry Karter – Livermore, CA
- Matt Krei – Aurora, CO
- Jim Nolte – Denver, CO
- Jim Olson – Brattleboro, VT
- Dan Powers – Sunnyvale, CA
- Richard Russell – Greer, SC
- Adam Smith – Boca Raton, FL
- Greg Williams – Charlotte, NC
- Patrick Wright – Camp Hill, PA
- Eric Zaslow – Evanston, IL
- Peter Neih – Los Altos Hills, CA
- Sam Sackett – Madison, WI
- Chris Sherwood – San Francisco, CA